Introducing FishNet Alliance, a network of fishers engaged in and promoting sustainable fishing in line with ecosystem limits. We stand in solidarity against extractive activities in water bodies – including rivers, lakes and oceans.
- FishNet Alliance aims to halt the expansion of extractive activities such as mining and oil/gas exploitation in our inland waters and oceans.
- FishNet Alliance is a network of like minds from different coastal communities that believe in solidarity, dignity and respect of the indigenous rights.
- The Alliance promotes, mobilizes and supports fishing activities that are in consonance with the natural cycles of the marine ecosystems.
- FishNet Alliance respects diversity and sustainable local knowledge.
- We are against indiscriminate displacement of fishing settlements and sand-filling of fishing creeks and rivers.
- We believe in and propagate the principles of knowledge generation and sharing to build capacity of fishers and engender improved sustainable engagements with the marine environment from a holistic perspective – including human rights, climate change, biodiversity conservation, ecological debt and external debt.
- We are against the use of chemicals and explosives to enhance fishing in our waters.
- FishNet Alliance engages in exchange visits to promote ties, solidarity and cross-cultural practices in fishing practices.
- We promote the principle of “what affects one – affects all” hence we take distributive actions in solidarity with any member(s) whose offshore and inland waters are/have been affected adversely by the extractive industry.
- We campaign for the rights of the fishers to
earn a living from the fishing and contribute to the economy of their countries. We press for justice and/or compensation in cases where these rights have been abridged by corporations and governments.
Download and read about FishNet Alliance for more details and for information on how to be a part of this Alliance.